Thursday, March 31, 2011

Ratatouille

I love it because I can hear my dad screaming from here! He HATES squash!!!! Hates it with all his heart. I on the other hand love it and luckily our posse does too..

I call anything that I just make up Ratatouille. Attaching it to a kid movie makes me think I can sell, "random invention" better. So far, so good. If my answer is Ratatouille when Izze asks her next comment is, "Seriously, I need to know what's in it". My answer, "Does it really matter? You are eating it either way". Deep down I am certain she is longing to hear chocolate, marshmallow, candy...

I didn't add chicken to this but had intended to. We were down two tonight and those left are not of the "Where's The Beef?" school of thought. Had they been home the chicken would have been necessary. Otherwise, this is a super easy lots of color and full of worthy of eating items all mixed together.

Ingredients:
Tomatoes (I used the little cute ones that come in a clump and a couple roma)
Squash (this was yellow squash and mexican gray squash)
Onion
Bell peppers (my kids prefer red, orange and yellow over green. They are sweet)
garlic (2 cloves)
parsley
basil (20 large leaves)
sea salt
pepper

I cooked the tomatoes with the basil, half the onions, 1 clove of garlic and parsley together in a saucepan. When the rest was finished I dumped it in the blender and chopped it together for sauce. The squash, onion, peppers, another clove of garlic, salt and pepper went into a big skillet with some coconut oil. I sauted it all together. I usually add the things that cook faster last and vice versa so typically all the veggies are finished together (great for fajitas too) When finished cooking I dumped the tomato sauce over it and we ate it. Charlotte ate some and threw some. Ryder ate enough to keep him alive and Izze ate it without a single negative comment. Her only questions were in regards to identifying what was orange.

Would I make this again? YES

**A huge slice of buttery bread would have been awesome. Daddy is at work tonight so I could have totally snuck that in. However, I have to remind myself (literally hourly) that his kids have his genes. The whole purpose and goal is to fuel everyone appropriately and safely in a manner that it feels natural and desired for their lifetimes as well. I did have some salad available but the three at home are not the rabbits of the house. Izze will eat it but was already in veggie overload. Ryder and Charlotte gag, throw it and attempt to give it to the dog.

No comments:

Post a Comment