Monday, April 11, 2011

Chili Relleno Casserole

In my basket I got a pile of Anehiem Chili's. We had a random spring snowstorm and we were all stuck in the house. I couldn't use our grill so I roasted them in our oven. I find out kids will tolerate a small amount of "hot". I deveined and seeded them and broiled them on a cookie sheet. I learned if you place them in a ziplock right away they will steam their own skins right off. The next day I made this casserole. Everyone wished I had made a double batch. Even the baby! It was terrific.

Ingredients:
Green chili's (canned or fresh)
Low fat cheese
3 egg whites
2 Tbs whole wheat flour (WW pastry flour is lighter)
1/3 cup skim milk
1 can enchalada sauce (had I planned better I could have made my own but we really love Macayo's in a can)


Grease an 8x8 pan. Place a layer of chili's in the bottom, top with cheese and another layer of chili's. Beat egg whites. When fluffy add milk and flour. Pour over chili's and bake at 350 for 20 minutes. Pull out and pour enchalada sauce over the top and sprinkle remaining cheese. Bake for another 15 minutes or until sauce is bubbly.

We had black beans and whole wheat tortilla chips with it. Normally we wouldn't do any chips and seriously limit the cheese (even if low fat) and salt in sauce. However, we had a random 10 inches of spring snow outside, several of us had been sick all weekend so we bent the rules some

. It certainly is still a leap ahead of traditional mexican dinners!

No comments:

Post a Comment