Monday, April 18, 2011

Sweet and Sour Chicken


I thought this was decent but Izz went bananas over it. Charlotte gobbled it up too.

Ingredients:
Rice (I used white only because I was out of brown but should have used brown)
chicken (cut in cubes)
Pineapple
Water chestnuts
cornstarch
sea salt
pepper
Sweet and sour sauce (healthy version below)

Cook rice as directed. Shake chicken in a ziplock or paper bag with the cornstarch, salt and pepper. Melt 1Tbs coconut oil in a frying pan. When hot, throw in chicken and cook thoroughly. Mix sauce in with chicken and serve over rice.

* I think it would have been yummy to add some spicy pepper to the cornstarch mix as well. I don't think the kids would have liked it but I would have.

Sweet and sour sauce:
Mix 1/3 cup honey, 1/3 cup apple cider vinegar 2 Tbs soy sauce (low sodium). Add in 1 clove garlic (or garlic powder), 1 tsp ginger and 1 tsp olive oil. Cook together in a saucepan over medium heat until syrupy.

No comments:

Post a Comment